It can be eaten as a hearty soup, but many people eat it as a main meal.
15 oz beans soaked overnight
21 oz sauerkraut or fresh cabbage cut in strips
1 lb salt pork
1 lb potatoes diced
1/2 cup fat
1 tbsp flour (heaping)
1 onion chopped
3 bay leaves
3 garlic cloves
peppercorns, to taste
5 tbsp sour cream
1. Heat a thin layer of oil/fat in a casserole. Brown the meat well.
2. Add the cabbage/sauerkraut and the onion. Let cook until transparent.
3. Add the potatoes and the beans. Stir around for a while until they begin cooking.
4. Add the flour and the remaining fat/oil. Stir well until the flour has covered all the ingredients well and has mixed with all the juices and fat.
5.Cover with the stock and cook for 40 minutes, or until the meat is tender and the vegetables are cooked through.
6. Before serving, add the sour cream.