Gratin Dauphinois really is a French classic, and is really really delicious! French cuisine at its best. A great accompany to roasts.
2 lb potatoes
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbsp butter
2/3 cup grated cheese (Gruyere or Swiss)
3 cups boiling milk
salt & pepper
Preheat the oven to 350° F.
1. Peel the potatoes and slice quite thin. Rub a large shallow earthenware dish with the crushed garlic clove and spread in 1 tablespoon of butter. Layer in the potato slices with half of the grated cheese.
2. Pour 2 ½ cups of boiling milk on potatoes. Bake for about 50 minutes. During cooking time, stir 2 to 3 times with two forks. This will allow potatoes to cook evenly.
3. 10 minutes before the end of cooking time, beat the egg with salt, pepper and remaining milk.
4. Pour onto the potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining grated cheese and dots of butter.
5. Cook in oven for a few more minutes, until the sauce becomes thicker. Serve hot.