This wine-flavored nutty bread is so wonderful it is a treat in itself.
750 gr white flour
250 gr semolina finely grated
80 gr fresh yeast or 3 packages dry yeast
2 tsp salt
200 gr sugar
1 small glass Cointreau
1 glass of sweet red wine (mavrodafni)
1 tsp cardamomo
1 tsp cinnamon
200 g grated almonds (optional)
2 tbs sesame seeds
4 tbs butter
Preheat oven at 170° C.
1. Begin the process using only 2/3 of the yeast. Add warm water if necessary, as much as required for the dough to become elastic and not too tight.
2. Add the almonds and the sesame seeds and knead the dough, then at the end add the butter.
3. When all the ingredients are united, leave the dough 30 minutes to rest.
4. Then dissolve the rest of the yeast in a little water and unite it with the rest of the dough, knead well.
5. If the dough is sticky smear some oil or butter on your hands and continue kneading. If on the other hand the dough is too soggy then just sprinkle a little more flour and continue to knead.
6. Smear some olive oil in a baking pan No. 30 – 32 and sprinkle some sesame seeds as well.
7. Place the dough in the pan and spread it evenly with your hands so that it is totally covered with the sesame.
8. Sprinkle some colorful sprinkles here and there to give it some color.
9. Cover the pan and leave it to rise for 30 – 40 minutes. It will rise just a little, which is normal, place it in the oven at 170°C.
10. Until the oven begins to warm up that is when the bread will complete the rising process
11. When you see that it has risen open the oven and pierce the bread with a twig in four or five places.
12. Bake the bread and leave it to cool on top of a gridiron without covering it with a towel. When it has completely cooled, cover it and leave it two days before eating.