A wonderful meze for your everyday table. Perfect for Tsipouro or Grappa.
1 pound black salt-cured Greek olives, (throumbes, often called Thassos) or juicy black olives such as Pelion
olive oil for sauteing
1 large purple onion, sliced
1 tsp rosemary leaves, or a mixture of dried oregano and thyme
fresh whole-wheat or grilled bread slices, to serve
slices of Manouri or ricotta salata cheese, to serve (optional)
- Rinse briefly the olives under running water, drain and dry completely on paper towels.
- Heat about 1/2 inch olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add the onion slices and sauté for 3-4 minutes, to soften.
- Add the olives and sauté stirring often, for about 5 minutes, or until puffed and shiny.
- With a slotted spoon transfer the olives and onion to a bowl, add the herbs, toss well, and serve warm or at room temperature.
- If you like, place a thin slice of cheese on each bread slice, and top with the fried olives and onions.