This Sicilian classic pairs eggplant and olives and is bursting with color and flavor. It is delicious served with fresh fish.
2 tbs olive oil
2 celery sticks
150 ml tomato passata
3 tbs wine vinegar
1 yellow pepper
1 red pepper
25 g anchovy fillets, soaked in warm water, drained and dried
50 g capers
25 g black olives
25 g green olives
25 g pine nuts
2 tbs chopped parsley
Preheat oven at 180° C.
- Dice aubergines into 1.25 cm pieces
- Slice onions
- Dice celery sticks
- Core, deseed and finely slice peppers
- Roughly chop capers
- Pit and slice olives
- Chop parsley
1. Put the diced aubergines into a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave to drain for 15-20 minutes to exude their bitter juices. Rinse under running cold water to remove any salt and pat dry with kitchen paper.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and saute until soft and golden.
3. Add the celery and cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the aubergine and cook gently for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add the passata and cook gently until it has been absorbed. Spoon in the wine vinegar and cook for 1 minute.
6. Add the peppers, anchovies, capers, olives and pine nuts, and cook for a further 3 minutes.
7. Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish and bake, covered, for about 1 hour.
8. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.