Cuttlefish with greens is a traditional Tuscan way of cooking cuttlefish; you can also use octopus or squid.
1 kg cuttlefish
1 cup fennel
2 cups chopped spinach
2 spring onions
1 small onion, finely sliced
1 medium size tomato, cubed
the juice from 1 large lemon
1 cup olive oil
- Clean the cuttlefish, drain well, and pound with a pestle. Once the cuttlefish has spread somewhat, it’s ready to be cut into strips.
- Blanche, drain and chop spinach
- Finely slice onion
- Cube tomato
1. In a saucepan, saute the finely chopped onions, add the cuttlefish and saute too.
2. Pour in some wine, add salt and pepper, a glass of hot water, and simmer until the cuttlefish is quite tender.
3. Add the spinach or the greens and cook for a further 15 minutes. The liquid will cook off, leaving the oil behind.
4. Pour in the lemon juice just before removing from heat.