A white bean caserole is not that demanding a plate, it does take some time but it’s worth every minute.
2 cups of dry white beans, soaked overnight
1 medium onion chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1 can of tomatoes
1/3 bunch parsley finely chopped
1/3 bunch mint finely chopped
1. Drain the beans and boil in a large uncovered pot (or pressure cooker) for approximately 5 minutes.
2. Drain beans again and boil in 3 cups of hot water for another 15 minutes in covered pot.
3. In a small pan, sauté the onion in ample olive oil until golden-brown. Add two tablespoons of bean stock from the pot along with the tomato sauce, parsley, salt and chilli powder for taste.
4. Cook for 10 minutes or until a thick sauce is formed, then pour everything into the pot with the beans.
5. Add chopped mint, cover tightly and cook for 2 hours over low heat, or for 30 minutes in a pressure cooker. Serve hot.